Penile rehabilitation after surgeryErectile dysfunction (ED) consist in the impossibility to reach and maintain a sufficiently valid erection for a satisfactory sexual relationship.
Despite improvements in the anatomo-surgical approch and use a different materials biocompatible for penile reconstruction, ED still represents a possible complication.
The aim of rehabilitation treatment of sexual function is two fold.
• Offer a return to adequate erectile function
• Prevent fibrotic involutive processes that could involve the penis
The rehabilitation after surgery consist in:
- Traction with the hand – start first day - 6 times/day
- PDE 5 inhibitor – start 5 to 7 days (Viagra, Cialis, Levitra)
- Stretching device and/or vacuum device – after 3 weeks
Video Vacuum Device
Another possibility is to use intracavernosal vasoactive agents such as alprostadil, phentolamine, papaverine, administred separately or combined. This therapy is indicated when oral treatment is not efficacious or there are contraindication.